Continuing the Cyber Chip program.
Today's youth are spending more time than ever using digital media for education, research, socializing, and fun. To help families and volunteers keep youth safe while online, the Boy Scouts of America introduces the Cyber Chip. In developing this exciting new tool, the BSA teamed up with content expert NetSmartz®, part of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children® and training expert for many law enforcement agencies.
Netsmartz® has created a Scouting portal showcasing Cyber Chip resources, including grade-specific videos, for each level.
Topics include cyber bullying, cell phone use, texting, blogging, gaming, and identity theft.
Since the fall of 2012, all Pack 95 Cub Scouts have been encouraged to complete this program with their families as a den assignment. Your den or patrol leader will let you know when to start work on it. The completed program will earn the Cyber Chip card and patch. Then each subsequent year the scout will 'recharge' his Cyber Chip. Parents, please feel to look around the site beyond the basic requirements, there is a wealth of information for everyone in the family. When these boys become boy scouts, completion of the older scout version of this course will be required for many modern merit badges that require internet use.
Cyber Chip Requirements
Cyber Chip program Tips
- Your den or patrol leader will provide you with your Cyber Chip card when its time to start working on this project.
- You can access the content though this portal
- Set aside time to work with directly your scout on one one for this.
- Some parts have audio, make sure you have speakers or headphones
- The video clips have a "Closed Captioning" (CC) button at the upper right, I'd encourage you to click it so your scout can follow along with the song lyrics.
- Print the certificate and bring it with your cyber chip card to be signed at a den meeting to earn the patch. Patches are $2.99 and will be available to purchase at pack meetings or the scout store.
Recharging your Cyber Chip
- If you completed this program last year and are still in the same age group (grades 1-3 and 4-5) then you can recharge your chip. Click the link above, Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Recharge". Follow the directions for the refresher.